Relocating to a new home in Greater Vancouver, BC or elsewhere in Canada can be an exciting experience but remember, moving involves a lot of effort. It can be quite stressful if you are unprepared.
Creating a moving checklist will enable you to get ready for your move by knowing well in advance when to get things done and the order in which you need them to be done. Having an organized move will also assist your Vancouver moving company in a great way.
We prepared some tips to help you get a sound master plan ahead of your moving day.
2 months before
- Sort out the details of all cupboards, closets and drawers to eliminate what you don’t need.
- Begin looking for reliable Vancouver moving companies. Always request for an on-site estimate and don’t depend on any quote over the phone. Its best to get an estimate in writing from a Vancouver moving company.
- Make a moving binder to keep track of all things including your estimates, receipts and inventory of all the things you want to move.
6 weeks before
- Finalize rental or real estate requirements.
- Inform your children’s school/schools of your move. Get in touch with new schools for getting enrollment details.
- Ask your doctors to suggest doctors in your new community.
- Begin using perishable/frozen foods that you don’t need to move.
- Take measurements at your new home to ensure big furniture can pass through the door.
1 month before
- Choose a professional Vancouver moving company and get written details of your moving day, costs and other related details.
- Inform utility firms to disconnect services a day after you move. Make sure to get the new service activated a couple of days before your arrival at your new home. For getting information regarding utility services, contact the chamber of commerce located in your new town.
- Do a change of address by visiting your local post office and filling out a form for change of address.
- Inform all important parties of your move: brokerage firms, your employer’s human resources department, banks, newspapers (to which you subscribe), insurance, utility and credit card companies.
- Separate valuable like jewelry and other important files to some safe box that you plan to transport personally to your new house.
- If you want to pack yourself, then order supplies and begin packing boxes. Make a note of the items of high value that may need additional insurance from your Vancouver movers.
2 Weeks Before
- Intimate your office that you need to be off from work on the moving day.
- You should plan your meals for the last weeks to make use of your food.
- If you are going to change banks, then make sure to remove all the contents of your locker/safe-deposit box and placing them in the safe box that you intend to take along with you on the moving day.
- Contact your Vancouver moving company for reconfirmation of arrangements.
1 Week Before
- Organize all important documents and store them where they are safe and accessible.
- Make sure to keep all essential items needed for your Moving Day Survival Kit to move through your planned move safe and sound.
- Refill prescriptions that you will require during the next few weeks.
- Arrange deposit or payment for your Vancouver moving company.
- Write clear directions to your new house for the selected moving company in Vancouver, BC. Make sure to confirm the delivery date and give your cell phone number and your itinerary number to your Vancouver moving company.
- Pack and carry your first-night box.
- Check all closets and rooms last time to ensure nothing gets left behind.
- Be ready ahead of the arrival of your Vancouver movers so that they can start the moving process promptly.
- Lock all windows, turn off lights and close all doors. To make sure nothing is left behind, just have a final tour of the house once your Vancouver movers have completed.
- Sign the bill of inventory list and keep a copy of it with you before your Vancouver movers leave.
Need advice on planning your local or long distance move in Vancouver, Burnaby, New Westminster, Coquitlam, North Vancouver, West Vancouver, Richmond, Surrey, Delta, Maple Ridge, Greater Vancouver and Lower Mainland, BC? CLICK HERE to get in touch with one of our moving specialists who can assist with setting up your move and will make sure your entire moving process goes smooth.